365 Challenge Day minus 20

I became very distracted today. My thoughts shifted to focus on the need to have a strict daily routine. This is the old engineering me coming back from the past. When I was a project manager, I developed school timetable style daily schedule.

When I was working onsite I even used to set alarms on my Nokia phone to keep me on track. It worked really well for me and I guess this turned me into a bit of robot. All of my working career has been about delivery on time and in budget.

For some this might appear to be an overkill. Regardless, this is an exercise well worth trying and if you want to try this then I would start with a blank piece of paper and set out 8 columns:

  • Column 1: Time
  • Column 2: Monday
  • Column 3: Tuesday
  • Column 4: Wednesday
  • Column 5: Thursday
  • Column 6: Friday
  • Column 7: Saturday
  • Column 8: Sunday

Column 1 (Time) I would recommend setting time interval to 30 minutes. This simply gives you greater flexibility.

Why Saturday and Sunday?

Life has a natural flow and the weekends are important part of this flow. It provides you with the whole picture and hopefully your weekends are free, yours to enjoy. It gives a warm fuzzy feeling when I saw that actually that my weekends are mine.

Now, the next is to plot out what you do currently in the respective time slots for each day of the week. This should include everything. You can generalise where necessary. This might prove to be difficult for some of you. When I did this for the first time it showed how erratic and chaotic my week was.


Comments